Drive raises 400+ toys

Freshman+Natalia+Roque+helps+sort+boxes+in+social+studies+teacher+Richard+Nagy%E2%80%99s+classroom+during+her+free+period.+Nagy+organized+a+toy+and+clothing+drive+challenge+between+the+school+and+Broward+Sheriff%E2%80%99s+Office+for+students+in+need+at+Pompano+Beach+Elementary+School.+The+toys+and+clothes+were+distributed+Dec.+7.+

Brody McClaine

Freshman Natalia Roque helps sort boxes in social studies teacher Richard Nagy’s classroom during her free period. Nagy organized a toy and clothing drive challenge between the school and Broward Sheriff’s Office for students in need at Pompano Beach Elementary School. The toys and clothes were distributed Dec. 7.

Ciera Rosado, Staff Intern

Students and staff raised over 400 toys and 1,500 articles of clothing during the Make Our Schools Safe clothes drive from Nov. 14 to Dec. 7.

Some of the toys were donated to kids at Pompano Beach Elementary School, and the clothes went to the Broward Partnership, a homeless shelter in Pompano Beach.

Club adviser Richard Nagy credited his global studies classes with helping to donate and sort items. 

MOSS led the drive in conjunction with Operation Establish Trust, an organization that includes Nagy and JROTC instructor Gregory Johnson that works to build better relations between police and the community. The drive was part of a friendly competition between the school and Broward Sheriff’s Office.

The drive has received national recognition. Five MOSS members will be traveling to Washington, D. C., on Jan. 22-26 to present the project to the Invent2Prevent organization, a learning program sponsored by the John McCain Institute that challenges students to create and implement programs to address violence in their communities.

“The theme with my MOSS club was that we are trying to prevent isolation of children at the pre-adolescent stage,” Nagy said.