Tornado Times

The Student News Site of Pompano Beach High

Tornado Times

Tornado Times

Broken cooling pump halts swim meets

The swim team had to switch all home meets from the Pompano Beach Aquatic Complex to the Mitchell Moore Recreation Center. The pump that had been cooling the pool suddenly broke in early August and for the past month, the water temperature has been between 88 to 91 degrees farenheit (31 to 33 degrees celsius ) when it should be between 78 and 82 degrees (25 to 27 degrees celsius).  

“I have been waiting on the city to supply us with the chillers we need to cool down the pool, hopefully we can be back at the pool full time by early to mid october”, said Mr. Farris.

The hot water has had a negative impact on the swimmers who still have to practice at the PBAC and the water is not safety regulated for swim meets yet. 

“It has been very tough to get in yards recently with how hot the water has been, every few minutes there is someone else who has to get out of the water because of how brutal the temperatures are”, said Senior Joseph Campanella.

Mr. Farris has plans to move over to the MMCC full time because of the impacts the broken pump has had on the team’s practices.

“I know it isn’t easy for the team to be practicing in that water, because of it I have had to adjust my sets and schedule for our practices and cut yards in half. As a team we are just trying to push through this until we can get approved to practice full time at the Mitchell Moore Pool”, said Mr. Farris.

The team captains are actively trying to sign a petition to help move all practices to the MMCC and encourage others to show their support by signing..

“The water is dangerously hot, I genuinely don’t know how much more of this the team can take, especially since we are approaching our bigger meets”, said girls team captain Lilia Blanco.