Dimming futures for Florida students

Patrick Gohl

By Patrick Gohl, Asst. Features Editor

Advanced Placement courses are a hallmark of rigorous education in high school, particularly in the case of our own school, which prides itself on the fact that it is standard for every student to take Pre-AP courses in their ninth and 10th grade years. They provide students with access to rich content beyond a typical high school education and prompt students to think deeply about a wide range of course topics. Each of these courses is an opportunity for students to expand the scope of their knowledge by analyzing information and thinking critically.

These courses give students opportunities to develop their skills in areas across the academic spectrum at a level that will prepare them for the rigors of college education. They are a mechanism for colleges to gauge the quality of educational performance from a more objective reference point as students across the country (or even globe) all take the same test in a given year. 

In recent weeks, Gov. Ron DeSantis has made several comments threatening to remove access to AP courses from Florida public schools. This came after DeSantis and the Florida Department of Education prohibited the College Board’s pilot AP African American Studies course from being taught in the state, with the governor calling the class “woke indoctrination.” 

Upon official release of the course framework, a number of concepts, including those that were addressed in DeSantis’s accusations, were not required for teachers to cover. But it remains uncertain whether DeSantis will take additional measures to prevent Florida high school students from having an opportunity to engage in AP coursework. 

This threat to remove such important educational experiences has the potential to have deep impacts on Florida high school students- including those at our school. Robbing students of access to the knowledge, information, and deeper learning afforded in AP classes could stunt their overall learning and growth. 

While the governor has proposed utilizing alternatives to AP classes to provide high school students with college level educations, such as dual-enrollment classes, or the “Classic Learning Test,” an alternative to the College Board’s SAT exam used primarily in Christian private schools and homeschool environments. The complete lack of AP courses on a high school transcript will greatly hurt students’ ability to compete for spots at colleges and universities outside of Florida, such as the esteemed Yale and Harvard Universities, both of which the DeSantis personally attended. The skills and knowledge students take with them to these higher education institutions will be much more limited than their fellow students, putting them at a disadvantage not only applying to college, but also during enrollment. 

For many students throughout the state, education is the mechanism for realizing their dreams. Success in high school is the key that opens the door to college and beyond. Even if the governor does not follow through on his proposition to eliminate this revered educational offering, it is irresponsible and damaging to the state’s students and educators to even threaten to do so. 

This poll has ended.

Should the state ban all Advanced Placement courses?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This poll has ended.

Was the state correct to ban AP African American Studies?